I was at a BBQ last night and my cousin made a delicious quinoa dish with red peppers and the topic of this great grain came up. “I don’t know what else to do with quinona”, “I only boil it with broth and now I’m bored with it”, “what else can I make with quinoa?”. Of course, my response was to tell them all to visit my website because I have countless quinoa recipes and when I mentioned this one it seemed to spark some interest so I was inspired to re-post this recipe that I originally published a couple of years ago. I actually haven’t made it myself in a while and think I just might try it this week with my leftover quinoa. Connie and Sam, this one’s for you!!
You will notice the picture shows mozzarella cheese melted between the poached egg and quinoa and the original recipe also calls for parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and you are more than welcome to try it that way. Since I don’t consume dairy, I have posted the recipe as I make it and you know what? It was absolutely DELISH!!!! Even my daughter devoured them 😉
Quinoa Patties with Poached Eggs
Servings: 6 patties
2 cups cooked quinoa at room temperature
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped finely, plus more for garnish
2 large shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup whole wheat or whole grain bread crumbs, plus more if needed
Olive oil, for frying the patties (I used about 1-2 tablespoons total)
6 eggs, poached (one for each patty)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, beaten eggs, salt, chives, shallot and garlic, mixing well with a spatula.
2. Add the bread crumbs to the mixture and stir to mix completely.
3. Gently form six individual patties with the quinoa mixture, adding more bread crumbs if necessary. I made mine about 3-inches in diameter-feel free to make yours any size you want.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering.
5. Add the patties, cover, and cook, about 5 minutes or so, until lightly browned on one side.
6. Uncover the patties, and flip (VERY gently) with a spatula, cooking uncovered on the opposite side for another 5 minutes or so, or until each side is browned.
7. Top each patty with a poached egg. Garnish with sea salt, pepper, and chives.
Serve immediately and ENJOY!!!
Until next time,
Have a fit and fabulous day.